Chris Marshall's Fine Pencil Drawings

Pencil drawings by my brother Christopher Marshall.
Chris lived in Somerset and was a cartographic surveyor for the South West Electricity Board. He died in 1994 age 42 after illness.


Note: The images here are highly compressed Jpeg files. Even the enlarged  versions do not do justice to the detail in these drawings. Higher resolutions may be available on request.

Here is a section about 15mm across magnified to show the detail. How do you get a pencil that sharp!

You may use these drawings providing the artist is acknowledged and permission is obtained.

Please send me an E-mail: paulmarshall2020@gmail.com



The Burton Memorial and Moot Hall, Daventry, Northants.

Original drawing size 5.4 x 3.4 inches.

Click to enlarge


The Burton Memorial was erected in the memory of Edmund Charles Burton (1826-1907) a very prominent figure in Daventry affairs. The Moot Hall was built in 1769. Originally a private house, it was bought by the borough when the first Moot Hall, which obstucted the entrance to the Market Square, was demolished in 1806.

The Church of the Holy Cross, Daventry, Northants.

Original drawing size 5.5 x 3.5 inches.

Click to enlarge


The Church of the Holy Cross was started in 1752 and finished in 1758. It is the only 18th. century town church in Northamptonshire.

Daventry is a town in Northamptonshire, England with a population of about 17000. In 1925 the BBC built a high-power radio transmitter on a hill overlooking the town and later started Short Wave transmissions to the rest of the world. Early experiments in radar were done from here. Originally specializing in footwear manufacture, it received London and Birmingham overspill from the 1950s, and developed various light industries.


Clandown Colliery, North Somerset

Pen & Ink drawing, original size 13 x 9 inches. From a photograph of unknown date.

Click to enlarge

Work first began on this site in 1793. By 1810 £2000 had been spent on development, and by 1821 coal worth £12,252 had been produced from the 1,437 feet deep shaft. By 1824 some 60-100 tons were raised each day. Decline started around the turn of the century when water started to enter the mine. A loss of £766 was recorded in 1907, but the colliery kept going until November 11,1929. The pit-head was quickly demolished. Behind the chimneys can be seen the Methodist Chapel.


Wellow Station, Somerset & Dorset Railway

Original drawing size 6" x 4".

Click to enlarge

The Somerset & Dorset railway ran from Bath to Bournemouth as part of a popular holiday route from the Midlands to the south coast. Coal from the Somerset coalfields and stone from the Mendip quarrys were important freight traffic. Wellow station opened on 20 July 1874. After the line closed in March 1966 the station was converted into a private dwelling by the artist Peter Blake. (In 1967 he designed the cover of the Beatles LP Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band).

Indoor Market and Bell Hotel, Radstock, Somerset

Click to enlarge

Original drawing size 6" x 4".

This Victorian market building has been fully restored and is now a museum of local history.

Visit Radstock Museum for more information.

The Village School, Shoscombe, Somerset

Original drawing size 5" x 3.5".

Click to enlarge

St. Julians Church of England school was once occupied by 120 pupils up to the age of 14. It is still in use today with about 80 pupils to age 11, but has been considerably extended.

For a fascinating insight into life in this area read The Life and Times of Ella Drew. Ella went to this school in 1903 at the age of three.

Bath Abbey, Somerset

Original size 7" x 9".

Click to enlarge


Bath Abbey was founded in 1499. Bishop King, the founder, was a royal servant and employed the king's masons to build 'the finest vault in England'. Building took a long time - mainly completed around 1616, the nave vault was not added until the 19th century.

Roman Baths, Bath, Somerset

Original size 6" x 4"

Click to enlarge

The Romans first arrived in AD44 and soon learnt the medicinal qualities of the hot spring water. Aquae Sulis was established as the leading spa town of Roman Britain, just as it was to become the same again in the 18th century. The city of Bath was extensively bombed during the second world war.

Pulteney Bridge and Weir, Bath, Somerset


Original size 6" x 4"

Click to enlarge


Pulteney Bridge across the River Avon at Bath was built around 1770 and is unusual for the row of tiny shops that line both sides.

Higher resolution copies may be available on request


E-mail: PaulMarshall2020@gmail.com

© Paul Marshall 2011

Darkwood Designs Homepage